Scientific Research and Publications
The researchers of Juva Truffle Center, in association with international scientists, carry out research related to truffles and other Finnish edible fungi. JTC has published scientific articles in peer-reviewed international journals with international scientists as co-authors. These researchers are from various countries such as India, Italy, China, the US, Slovenia, Libya, Hungary, Tunisia, and Egypt.
The research work of Juva Truffle Center also includes in vitro growth studies of edible mushrooms such as Cantharellus cibarius and Craterellus tubaeformis. Our researchers are also currently taking interest in assessing the bioactive composition of these fungi as well as their various biological activities.
List of publications
- Shah N, Marathe SJ, Croce D, Ciardi M, Longo V, Juilus A, Shamekh S. An investigation of the antioxidant potential and bioaccumulated minerals in Tuber borchii and Tuber maculatum mycelia obtained by submerged fermentation. Archives of Microbiology. 2022 Jan; 204:1-0.
- Marathe SJ, Hamzi W, Bashein AM, Deska J, Seppänen-Laakso T, Singhal RS, Shamekh S. Anti-Angiogenic Effect of Cantharellus cibarius Extracts, its Correlation with Lipoxygenase Inhibition, and Role of the Bioactives Therein. Nutrition and Cancer. 2021 Mar 27:1-11.
- Dutta B, Deska J, Bandopadhyay R, Shamekh S. In silico characterization of bacterial chitinase: illuminating its relationship with archaeal and eukaryotic cousins. Journal of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology. 2021, 19:19.
- Deshaware S, Marathe SJ, Bedade D, Deska J, Shamekh S. Investigation on mycelial growth requirements of Cantharellus cibarius under laboratory conditions. Archives of Microbiology. 2021, 5:1-7.
- Bajaj SR, Marathe SJ, Grebenc T, Zambonelli A, Shamekh S. First report of European truffle ectomycorrhiza in the semi-arid climate of Saudi Arabia. 3 Biotech. 2021, 11(1):1-9.
- Marathe SJ, Hamzi W, Bashein AM, Deska J, Seppänen-Laakso T, Singhal RS, Shamekh S. Anti-angiogenic and anti-inflammatory activity of the summer truffle (Tuber aestivum Vittad.) extracts and a correlation with the chemical constituents identified therein. Food Research International. 2020, 137:109699.
- Shah NN, Hokkanen S, Pastinen O, Eljamil A, Shamekh S. A study on the fatty acid composition of lipids in truffles selected from Europe and Africa. 3 Biotech. 2020, 10(10):1-7.
- Shah N, Usvalampi A, Chaudhary S, Seppänen-Laakso T, Marathe SJ, Bankar S, Singhal R, Shamekh S. An investigation on changes in composition and antioxidant potential of mature and immature summer truffle (Tuber aestivum). European Food Research and Technology. 2020, 246(4):723-31.
- Varmola E, Bedade D, Deshaware S, Ojamo H, Assad ME, Shamekh S. Evaluation of baking conditions for frozen doughs. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization. 2019, 13(4):3307-17.
- Mudliyar DS, Wallenius JH, Bedade DK, Singhal RS, Madi N, Shamekh SS. Ultrasound-assisted extraction of the polysaccharide from Tuber aestivum and its in vitro anti-hyperglycemic activity. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre. 2019, 20:100198.
- Bedade D, Deska J, Bankar S, Bejar S, Singhal R, Shamekh S. Fermentative production of extracellular amylase from novel amylase producer, Tuber maculatum mycelium, and its characterization. Preparative Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 2018, 48(6):549-55.
- Bouzadi M, Grebenc T, Turunen O, Kraigher H, Taib H, Alafai A, Sbissi I, Assad ME, Bedade D, Shamekh S. Characterization of natural habitats and diversity of Libyan desert truffles. 3 Biotech. 2017, 7(5):1-0.
- Bedade D, Berezina O, Singhal R, Deska J, Shamekh S. Extracellular xylanase production from a new xylanase producer Tuber maculatum mycelium under submerged fermentation and its characterization. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology. 2017, 11:288-93.
- Bhotmange DU, Wallenius JH, Singhal RS, Shamekh SS. Enzymatic extraction and characterization of polysaccharide from Tuber aestivum. Bioactive carbohydrates and dietary fibre. 2017, 10:1-9.
- Albuzaudi M, Eerikäinen T, Turunen O, Ghelawi M, Assad ME, Tawalbeh M, Bedade D, Shamekh S. Effect of gamma irradiation and heat treatment on the artificial contamination of maize grains by Aspergillus flavus Link NRRL 5906. Journal of Stored Products Research. 2017, 71:57-63.
- Bedade DK, Singhal RS, Turunen O, Deska J, Shamekh S. Biochemical characterization of extracellular cellulase from Tuber maculatum mycelium produced under submerged fermentation. Applied biochemistry and biotechnology. 2017, 181(2):772-83.
- Nadim M, Saidi N, Hasani IW, El Banna YY, Samir O, Assad ME, Shamekh S. Effects of some environmental parameters on mycelia growth of Finnish truffle Tuber maculatum. Int. J. Eng. & Appl. Sci. 2016, 3:2394-3661.
- Saidi N, Deshaware S, Romdhane IB, Nadim M, Laaribi M, Ltifi A, Kremer R, Shamekh S. Endogenous starter bacteria associated to Chanterelle mycelia enhance aroma, color and growth of mycelia. International Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2016, 3(9):257581.
- Nadim M, Deshaware S, Saidi N, Abd-Elhakeem MA, Ojamo H, Shamekh S. Extracellular enzymatic activity of Tuber maculatum and Tuber aestivum mycelia. Advances in Microbiology. 2015, 5(07):523.
- Saidi N, Deshaware S, Romdhane IB, Nadim M, Ojamo H, Kremer R, Shamekh S. Endogenous bacteria of Tuber aestivum ascocarps are potential biocontrol agents of microbial post-harvest deterioration of truffles. International Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2015, 2(7):257860.
- Romdhane IB, Saidi N, Deshaware S, Shamekh S. Sanitizing method effects on depending-culture microorganisms in Tuber aestivium. Advances in Microbiology. 2015, 2;5(06):425.
- Shamekh S, Grebenc T, Leisola M, Turunen O. The cultivation of oak seedlings inoculated with Tuber aestivum Vittad. in the boreal region of Finland. Mycological progress. 2014, 13(2):373-80.
- Wang XH, Benucci GM, Xie XD, Bonito G, Leisola M, Liu PG, Shamekh S. Morphological, mycorrhizal and molecular characterization of Finnish truffles belonging to the Tuber anniae species-complex. Fungal Ecology. 2013, 1;6(4):269-80.
- Orczán KÁ, Turunen O, Merényi Z, Rudnóy S, Bratek Z, Shamekh S. Tuber foetidum found in Finland. Mycotaxon. 2010;114:127-33.
- Shamekh S, Donnini D, Zambonelli A, Leisola M. Wild Finnish truffles. Plant Diversity. 2009, 25;31(S16):69-71.